Pages

Tuesday 29 May 2012

NEWS FLASH FOR NON-UK READERS!

I've just discovered that blogger has changed things up in an irritating way.  (Seriously, I'm thinking it may be time to find a new platform)  Apparently, blogs now redirect to a country specific url based on the reader's location.  That means that my blog is now www.ameringlish.co.uk.  BUT!  If you are reading from America, you will automatically be taken to www.ameringlish.com, whether you type in .co.uk or not.

No big deal, right?  Wrong.  Because the comments are hosted at the .co.uk site.  So my American readers can't see comments on posts or add their own.

But there's a way around it.  If you visit my blog (or subscribe) at www.ameringlish.co.uk/ncr you will get access to full content.  Google explains it if you want more info.

Sorry for the confusion and I hope you'll join in the conversation!

5 comments:

  1. I don't know if that is completely accurate. I have loads of US readers (well, who are we kidding - about 10) and they've been able to leave comments just fine. I've already been "automatically" switched to the co.uk format too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I just noticed that when I forced it to go to my website at the .com address the comments weren't showing up. So perhaps they can comment, but they only show up to readers of the same country.
      Strangely, when I clicked over to respond to this comment, it took me to a .com address, rather than the .co.uk. Hmmmm...

      Delete
  2. Ok, so I just checked it and now it's not redirecting me to .co.uk... It was yesterday. Perhaps there's some weird bug related to this. Watch this space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in France and have been redirected to .fr for some time now... haven't noticed any comments lost, and have gotten some from other countries. Sign up for email notification, then you'll know for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know! I'm not sure why things are showing up sometimes and sometimes not. I'll keep an eye on it, but I'm glad it sounds like it's not interfering with y'all accessing content! :)

      Delete