Pages

Tuesday 19 June 2012

Rabbit on.

Spurred by reader Michelle's comment on my last post, I decided to devote a couple of posts to children's songs in the US and UK.

I mentioned that we've been going to Rhythm Time where we sing a variety of songs with the babies.  We shake maracas and tambourines.  We bounce and dance and act silly.  It's pretty fun.  Linus is liking it more and more each week.  Sometimes he ends up eating the whole time instead of participating, but I figure the exposure to music is good for him regardless.  He's still not a big fan of when the drums get banged too loudly.  I'm not a big fan of loud noises, so perhaps he gets that from me.  We also sing songs and do movements at Baby Yoga, which I think Linus prefers for it's more mellow vibe.

Linus shaking his maraca.

One song that we sing at yoga is new to me.  It's called "Run Rabbit Run", and it goes:

Run, rabbit.  Run, rabbit.
Run, run, run.
Don't let the Farmer get his
Gun, gun, gun.
He'll get by without his rabbit pie.
So, Run, rabbit.  Run, rabbit.
Run, run, run.

We generally sing it while we're moving the babies' legs in a running motion, which is supposed to be good for digestion and releasing gas.  The yoga teacher told us a story the other day about how she'd recently done a Baby Yoga workshop at a conference and got in trouble for using this song because the organizers felt it was insensitive to the large number of vegetarians present.  I pointed out that it could actually be construed as pro-vegetarian as it encourages the rabbit to elude the Farmer!  What could be more veg-friendly!? :)  In reality this song is about World War 2 and is meant to poke fun at the Germans.  How very political!

On a note unrelated to singing, do you know what it means if someone says "Oh, she does rabbit on"?  It could easily be applied to me and my penchant for verbosity.  It means "she sure talks incessantly".  Word is that it's cockney rhyming slang-  "Rabbit and Pork" -> pork rhymes with talk (if you use a cockney accent, though I think it's a stretch).  So to "rabbit" means to "talk".  I prefer to think about it as how rabbits are known for going at it like, well, rabbits and that somehow relates to the speed of the chatter... or something...

Good conclusion, Meg.  "Or something"...  Yep, that's how I roll.

2 comments: