Pages

Wednesday 25 July 2012

Nursery Rhymes Again

I already talked about Nursery Rhymes once.  Let's do it again!

Let's start with the one that Reader Michelle commented about.  I'm not sure whether to call in by it's British name, or it's American one.  I'm talking about "Ring a Ring of Roses" or "Ring Around the Rosie".  In addition to the name/first line of the song being different, as Michelle noted, the final line varies by country.  I grew up with "Ashes, ashes, we all fall down!", but Ross knows it as "A tissue, a tissue, we all fall down!"  Either way, the song is strangely morbid and about the plague, right?  I'm not sure the reason for the difference... Anyone know?

Another tiny difference is a rhyme about a spider.  The Itsy Bitsy Spider to me, is The Eensy Weensy Spider here.

This picture doesn't really have anything to do with this post,
but all posts need a picture and my baby and his toes are adorable.
You're welcome.

The next one confuses me every time we go to Rhythm Time.  "The Farmer in the Dell" is a classic childhood song.  The first time we sang it at Rhythm Time we got to the final line and I realized that the leader was saying something completely different than me.  I was saying, as I'd learned, "Hi-ho the derry-oh".  I leaned over to a dad who was attending the group with his son.  I know his wife, but hadn't met him prior to this session.  I asked him what she was saying.  He looked at me, confused.  I explained that I didn't understand the words she was saying at the end.  He still seemed confused.  I clarified that we say "Hi-ho the derry-oh" in America.  He paused and said, "I wouldn't worry about it.  They're just nonsense words."  Now it was my turn to look confused.  I said, "Well, yes, but I want to say the RIGHT nonsense words."  He remained confused and I let it go and just went back to singing- straining extra hard when we got to the line in question, trying to figure out what words I should be saying.

I asked Ross when he got home that evening.  He said that, here it's "Ee-i, adio".  Alright then!  Progress.  But guess what?  I looked it up on Wikipedia and learned that the line depends on where in England you are.  Apparently Londoners say "Ee-i, tiddly-i" and those in the West Country say "Ee-i, Ee-i".

So there you go.  Some more interesting (at least to me, and hopefully to you) differences in the way we sing to our kiddos.
Anyone know any other differences in nursery rhymes?

3 comments:

  1. At the Children's Centre I go to, they don't do "1-little 2-little 3-little Indians". Indians are replaced by teddy bears. I'm assuming that's just a political correct thing but I can't say for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! Good one. I'd forgotten about 1 Little, 2 Little, 3 Little Indians! We don't do that one, but I sang it for Ross to find out if he heard it and his immediate response was that it wouldn't be allowed- though that might well be the case in the US nowadays...

      Delete
  2. a life <---- get one.

    ReplyDelete