Pages

Tuesday 27 December 2011

My First Pin

I'd been resisting everyone's raves of Pinterest for sometime now.  Then a friend on FB sent me an invite, so I figured I'd go ahead and sign up.  I figured I'd quickly be sucked in.  Everyone on the internet that talks about it seems to find it to be the greatest thing ever.  I'm... not.  Don't get me wrong.  I can see how it is useful.  I'm glad I have an account and will use it.  But I just don't see how it's the be-all-end-all.  Maybe I just haven't spent enough time searching things.  Anyway...

My very first (and so far, only) pin was for a project that I made Ross for Christmas.  I saw the project on a blog and new instantly that it would be perfect!



You see, for nearly a year, I've had these lying around.


They are the menus from our first anniversary dinner at The Oceanaire.  They are pretty big, and not that neat.  I mean, they say Happy Anniversary across the top, but that's about it.  I'm actually not sure why I felt the need to keep them, but I did.  And they'd been sitting under our front hall table for the past year!


So I followed the directions in the tutorial and quickly had a cut out of a little flower.


I knew that the paper I'd printed it on wouldn't hold up to 12 tracings very well, so I traced it onto a piece of heavier card stock and cut it out to use as my pattern.


I picked 12 different parts of the menu that I wanted to be part of the ornament.  Some of them were more important to include than others.


Then, I just cut them out and assembled.  Easy peasy!  I punched a hole in one of the flowers and threaded a stretchy silver cord through it so it would have a hanger.  



I was a little worried that Ross wouldn't "get" it, but he was very sweet and his eyes lit up when he opened it on Christmas morning.  It went straight on the tree.  I can definitely see doing this craft with other paper products to make fun keepsakes.  I saw one suggestion that you could use this idea to recycle previous years' Christmas cards.

If you Pinterest and would like to follow me, you can find me here.

Are you into Pinterest?
Did you make any fun crafts for Christmas?

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, Meg, I was the same for the first few weeks of Pinterest... and then, yes, I got totally sucked in! I'd imagine that for you it'll be especially useful with the baby coming - you can research and save nursery ideas or baby clothes or anything! It's amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's it got do with Harold Pinter?

    ReplyDelete