Pages

Thursday 3 November 2011

Thanksgiving Blahs

Every year in recent memory, I've spent Thanksgiving with my mom's side of the family in San Antonio.  It's one of my favorite times of year.  I love being with my grandparents and all the extended family.  I love all the yummy food.  I love decorating my grandparents' house for Christmas on the Friday after Thanksgiving.  I absolutely love it.

Immediate family photo from Thanksgiving (circa 2006)

Ross has been with us for the past 2 Thanksgivings and has joined in all the fun.  I think he really likes the family atmosphere too.  I know he adores my grandparents- which is unsurprising since they're awesome.  It's a great, laid-back time full of talking and eating and playing board games and relaxing.  What could be better, right?  It's pretty much perfect.

Board games in G'ma and Papa's kitchen

Which is why I'm completely a little bit mostly heartbroken that we can't go this year.  We really thought we could swing it, so all along I'd been thinking we were going for Thanksgiving (which was cushioning the blow of not going for Christmas).  But tickets are just too expensive.  Hmpfh!  I'm trying not to think about it too much because then I start crying.  And once a pregnant woman starts crying, it gets scary.

See here's the thing, I'd been telling myself that I still had:
-One more time to see my parents before I give birth
-A chance to see my grandparents while I'm pregnant
-Time to spend with my aunt and uncle and cousins and their husbands
-A shot at seeing The Muppet Movie before February
-Another shot at eating all of the American junk food I've been craving since I got pregnant (Whataburger, Chick-Fil-A Wendy's... oh my!)

Obviously, some of these things are more important to me than others... but I guess that's the price you pay for living in a different country than the rest of your family.  So, I'm putting on my big girl panties and getting over it.... eventually.  My brother has offered to set up a Skype chat so that we can at least see the family, so that's something... But this year definitely won't be the same.

What did you do the first holiday you had to spend away from family?
Are you surprised that the UK has to wait for 2 whole months to see The Muppets?

3 comments:

  1. That's a lot of lost expectations/plans.. I'll pout with you!

    And go Matt, I expect him to work a great quality feed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure you plan something wonderful for your own Thanksgiving. Weather it's an intimate dinner for you and Ross or dinner with friends. I always thought it was a neat idea to send out an invite to all the friends who don't have plans. The more the merrier and then they can bring a great dish too. Try to look forward to it. Time to start new traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear your heartache. And no matter how hard you try, Thanksgiving is never the same in the UK. I really miss that holiday more than almost any of them. And it's really difficult for me to get back then because it's in the middle of my daughter's school term. Do you have Skype? Maybe you could set up something kind of fun, like co-ordinate cooking some of the same things, set your table and make it all festive, then set up the computer at the table and ask your family to do the same! Not the same, but fun in a different way!!

    Hugs xox

    ReplyDelete