Pages

Friday 26 August 2011

Cultural Smackdown: Breakfast battles

We're going on a cruise next month with my dad's side of the family and I will tell you the number one thing I'm looking forward to about the trip:  breakfast!

Delicious, scrumptious, American breakfast!


Pancakses!  Waffles!  French toast!  Biscuits (not the cookie kind, the warm buttery bread kind!)!  Hash browns!  Bacon (the good American kind!)!  Some tasty fruit!

This is definitely an area where Ross and I agree, hands down, that America totally kicks British butt.  

The Full English Breakfast is an institution.  


The image above is pretty typical.  As you can see it's a pretty heavy meal.   On the plate, you see a sausage, black pudding (not always included, but a must in certain parts of the country), bacon, egg (can be scrambled or fried), hash browns, mushrooms, beans, and tomato.  Not pictured is the fried bread, which is like french toast, but just bread and butter really.  There is a vegetarian option usually available that involves removing the meat and adding more mushrooms generally.

The biggest difference I think is that American breakfast has a pretty heavy "sweet" component (sure mixed with savory), but the British is entirely savory.  

Sure I realize that I can cook the foods I am missing at home (which I have done), but it just ain't the same!  If only there was an IHOP in town... I guess I'll just have to wait until the cruise ship and it's delicious all you can eat food...

What do you think?  Is there a clear winner in your opinion?
My expats out there, what breakfast food do you miss the most?

No comments:

Post a Comment