Pages

Thursday 23 June 2011

Stayin' up late

For the past couple of days we've been watching reruns of


We discovered that the show airs on ITV4 at 6PM weekdays so we've been flashing back.  Yesterday's episode featured Neil Patrick Harris (post-Dougie) as a 1950's frat jerk.  (As a side note, they actually bleeped the word "Spaz" from the episode.  Take that, Anonymous!)  I posted on Facebook about this fact, which prompted as little discussion.

I said that Quantum Leap was the first show my brother Matt and I were allowed to stay up an extra hour past our bedtimes to watch.  I have vivid memories of this.  My brother countered, saying that Moonlighting was actually the first show we stayed up to watch.  I assumed I'd remembered incorrectly.  After all, he's my big brother and must remember better than I!  But then.... but then!  Our mom weighed in with the news that I was right!  Did you hear that?  Such sweet words... I WAS RIGHT!  Victorious dancing and a little long-distance "nannyboobooing" ensued.  Of course, my husband was the only one to witness this as my brother lives in New York. The phrase "I have a mind like a steel trap" definitely came out of my mouth and onto Facebook.

We're so sweet together :)

But then, dear readers, my husband said something that brought my gleeful crowing to a rapid halt.  He said, "I would have sworn that Moonlighting was on before Quantum Leap."  A quick search on IMDB revealed that he was correct.  Quantum Leap aired from 1989 to 1993.  Moonlighting was on from 1985 to 1989.  How can this be?!?  I remember watching Moonlighting too...  but does that mean Matt is right?  It can't be true...  perhaps we watched reruns.  Yeah.  Yeah... reruns.  That's the ticket.  They must have been reruns...

Do you and your siblings have any rivalry?  
Does it take the form of remembering useless trivia?
What was the first show you were allowed to stay up late to watch?

2 comments:

  1. I refrained from raising this very point, but yes, Ross and I are correct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I remember Quantum Leap, great show. I remember begging to be allowed to watch the 8 o'clock movie. It didn't matter what it was, my parents always watched it. I was finally allowed and fell asleep by 9.

    ReplyDelete