Pages

Thursday 2 June 2011

WFW: Bridesmaid's Luncheon

Meg's note:  Oops!  Another short week and another Thursday where we flashback to Wednesday before flashing back to the wedding.
This is another southern tradition that I'm so glad we were able to celebrate!  When a dear friend, Betsey, from my church offered to host any event for the wedding that I chose, I wasn't sure what to do.  I already had so many offers (well more demands) from people to host showers!  What a problem to have. I consulted with my mom, who is good friends with Betsey, and mom had the perfect idea.  She requested that Betsey host the Bridesmaid Luncheon.  Since the wedding was taking place in Dallas, Mom wouldn't be able to host the luncheon (unless we did it at a restaurant) and this was the perfect solution.  Now traditionally, the Bride and/or her mother host this event in honor of the Bridemaids.  It's a way to say "thank you" to them for all of their help with the wedding.  In more recent years, the luncheon has evolved and is often hosted by a good family friend and includes other important women in the Bride's life.  We did a fun twist on the event by having a:


(That's what a good friend of mine from college used to call them.  Isn't it fun?)

Betsey was thrilled with this idea and helped me brainstorm some ideas for the party.  Once she mentioned, the idea of a Pajama Party I was sold!  I knew I wanted a laid-back event where I could relax and enjoy all the important women in my life.  I didn't want anything that would be too formal or stuffy.  Knowing that Betsey is an amazing hostess, I felt confident to leave all the details to her and just show up in my pajamas. 

My mom's mom was not so crazy about the pajama party idea and initially said she wouldn't come.  Once I told her that she didn't actually have to wear her pajamas she was on board again :)  I took this as an opportunity to buy some completely frivolous, but adorable wedding themed PJ's from Target.  I'd seen them before, but couldn't really justify getting them just to wear to sleep the night before the big day.  Now they were compulsory! 

Betsey's home is absolutely gorgeous and perfect for entertaining.  I don't have any pictures of the first part of the morning, but we drank mimosas and chatted in her comfy lounge.  It was a great chance for the women to get to know each other a bit before the big shindig.


Aunt Pam, Ross' cousin Hazel, Grandmother, and G'ma

Mom, BM Cindy, BM Nicole, Ross' cousin Debra

my cousins Jen and Erin, and my Aunt Deb

My Grandmother and my G'ma had a ball catching up.
They were neighbors in Arabi, Lousisiana years ago when my parents were kids.

Me and Mom

 Betsey put together a delicious and simple menu of beef tenderloin, salad, and cheese grits.  These were the best cheese grits I'd ever tasted and the big hit of the day!  We then had a lovely dessert of Dove bars with a luscious raspberry compote on top.  It was a genius, scrumptious, easy dessert.

Betsey offered a toast.

I took the opportunity to pass out some gifts.  For my mom, grandmother, and g'ma I had little orange tins that contained a pretty floral hankie.  It's written a message to them around the edge in sharpie.


For Betsey, I gave a hostess gift that I knew would be right up her alley- a charitable donation to a group that is very close to her heart.  Our church supports a project which teaches women in Mexico to sew so that they are able to help support themselves and their families.  Betsey was actually my confirmation partner about 15 years before when I joined the church.  I'll always remember going on Meals on Wheels runs with her and learning how to be an active participant in the church.

You can see the tins well here.  I got them at Hobby Lobby for $1 each!

She was very moved.  Result!

I can't believe it, but I didn't get any pictures of my BM's or House Party's presents!  The BM's got some sturdy reusable shopping bags from World Market.  I figured they'd be good for the next day and still be useful afterwards.  I filled the bags with cute little slipper socks, an ivory zip-up hoodie embroidered with their names, a little kit for surviving the wedding day.  I don't remember exactly what was in them, but there was hand sanitizer, lip gloss, Colgate Wisps, and some lotion- I think.  Their jewelry for the next day was also in the bag.  My house party (my cousins Jen and Erin) received some personalized stationery.



Aren't they all gorgeous?!

After a few more toasts and tears, we were all done.  It was a great way to spend the morning.  I definitely believe in the importance of having strong, amazing, supportive women in my life.  They set the tone for a great weekend!  
Some of us then headed to the nail salon for a little beautification.  Yeah, we rocked our PJs while getting pedis!    




Before we knew it, it was time to rush home to get changed for the rehearsal dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment